Who we are
Water Sensitive Cities Australia is continuing the mission of the Cooperative Research Centre for Water Sensitive Cities (CRCWSC).
Water is integral to almost every feature of the urban landscape, and an enabler of more productive, liveable, sustainable and resilient cities. As the climate changes and cities grow, urban communities are calling for vision, action and collaboration to create a more secure and sustainable water future.
Over 9 years (2012-2021), the CRCWSC built an international brand for water sensitive cities and a reputation as a trusted advisor to governments and cities. It translated its interdisciplinary research into practical tools and guidelines, and used these to build the skills of the sector to create water sensitive cities.
Water sensitive solutions use all water sources, unleash the power of an informed and engaged community, and integrate green and grey infrastructure.
This research provided the blueprint and tools for water sensitive cities (WSC) practices. Water Sensitive Cities Australia represents the next phase of making WSC practice the norm. Working with world-renowned subject matter experts, and industry thought leaders, we work across Australia and internationally, providing a network for cities to learn from each other.
What we do
Our aim is to see water sensitive practices applied as business-as-usual activity in every city, every day. We:
- bring together diverse people and organisations to help them create a shared vision for their city
- synthesise breakthrough research and deep industry experience to find innovative, practical action and context-specific solutions
- build the collaboration, knowledge, governance and regulatory frameworks, industry capacity and business models needed for timely implementation at scale
- develop and test water sensitive city technologies
- enhance interdisciplinary and cross-sectoral collaboration.
We will also keep building on existing CRCWSC research.
Right now, we’re focusing on mainstreaming water sensitive practices.
We work with our partners on projects that mainstream WSC practices. Our state and national programs include:
- Maintaining state-based communities of practice around water sensitive cities and creating opportunities for national collaboration
- Applied research to investigate, test or validate application of the full range of water sensitive practices and tools to specific locations or issues
- Piloting water sensitive practices on the ground or aggregating and scaling up application of insights from previous pilot projects
- Activities to integrate with sectors beyond water
- Further developing existing CRCWSC tools and guidelines, or adapting them to specific contexts.
- Adoption projects to support the use of the CRCWSC knowledge including training and influencing activities.
- Developing education to support the next generation of water sensitive champions and practitioners
Meet the team
We have a small, agile team of experts.
These industry professionals are internationally
regarded with deep knowledge, skills and experience.
How can we help
We have been working directly with clients on project-based
engagements in Australia and oversees since 2014.
What makes us different is the multidisciplinary expertise we bring to projects, and our collaborative approach to solving complex problems:
- We bring together technical experts and organisations to create a shared vision for a city.
- We synthesise breakthrough research and deep industry experience to find innovative, practical action and context-specific solutions.
- We build the collaboration, knowledge, governance and regulatory frameworks, industry capacity and business models needed for timely implementation at scale.
See some of our past projects:
- Vision and transition statements
- Policies and guidelines
- Facilitation and design charrettes
- System design and scenario modelling
- Technical design of water sensitive urban design solutions.
We welcome partners
We’re excited by the possibilities Water Sensitive Cities Australia presents, and we welcome partners. If you’re interested in partnering with us, please complete a declaration form.
If you have any questions, talk to our CEO Ben Furmage (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Learn more about partnering with us.