Find out how nature-based solutions can be applied in Mekong countries
What: Valuing the Benefits of Nature Based Solutions for Integrated Urban Flood Management in the Mekong Region
When: 24–25 November 2021
Where: via Zoom
This virtual conference launches case studies that apply nature-based solutions (NbS) in 4 different urban contexts in Thailand and Vietnam:
- the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok, Thailand
- Rayong City, in Thailand’s Eastern Economic Corridor
- Tam Phu Park in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- the island of Phu Quoc, Vietnam.
We have been working with Australian Water Partnership, World Bank and partners in Mekong countries to develop NbS designs and to apply the Investment Framework for Economics of Water Sensitive Cities. These case studies identify and evaluate the benefits and costs of NbS solutions in each location, and consider funding and financing arrangements.
As well as launching the case studies, the conference synthesises the lessons learnt from each location, and brings regional perspectives to explore how to support wider, smarter application of NbS across the Mekong. In particular, the conference will consider issues such as:
- What is needed to scale up application of NbS across the Mekong?
- Are the barriers scientific, community, engineering, economic, financial, governance/policy or all of the above?
- How can we achieve better integration of NbS, conventional and non-structural solutions?
- Is this a shared regional issue? How can we strengthen collaboration?
The case studies and a synthesis report will be released shortly. In the meantime, check out this short video about the project.