Traditional ecological knowledge, combined with water sensitive design, can restore cultural, social and environmental values to a degraded urban creek
- Improve the cultural values of the Bendigo Creek and create opportunities for Djaara people to actively participate in healing Country through on-ground project delivery—All areas on Country are culturally significant. The project creates opportunities for Djaara people to engage in practical activities on Country that heal Country and water. Plants used in the project can be harvested and used in traditional / customary practice (e.g. making baskets from reeds).
- Build the capacity of Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation and Dja Dja Wurrung Enterprises to play a leading role in protecting and enhancing the natural environment—The project started as a joint project between the Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation and the North Central Catchment Management Authority in 2016. Over time, Dja Dja Wurrung Enterprises has taken greater control and is now developing, leading, and implementing the design and securing funding for new phases of the project.
- Provide opportunities for education and awareness about Dja Dja Wurrung culture—Projects such as Wanyarram Dhelk become hubs for school groups and the broader community, demonstrating how Djarra people heal Country and water. They are also a place to share Djaara stories and culture.
- Restore the environmental values of the Bendigo Creek—A series of sedimentation ponds and constructed wetlands intercept stormwater, remove pollutants and discharge clean water into the Bendigo Creek.
Cities providing ecosystem services
Improve water quality, by channelling stormwater through a series of sedimentation ponds and constructed wetlands
Provide important habitat for frogs and birds and the insects they feed on
Reintroduce culturally significant food and fibre plants back on to Country
Cities as water supply catchments
- Use stormwater to grow native food and fibre plants
- Provide large pools for urban use, cooling down these niche environments, catching and improving wasted water
Cities comprising water sensitive communities
Encourage Djaara people back onto Country, to participate in projects that heal Country and water
Reinterpret healing Country and water through the lens of Djaara people
Improve awareness of cultural and environmental values within the local Bendigo community
Improve capacity of the Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation and Dja Dja Wurrung Enterprises to lead protection and enhancement activities
Interested in this solution?
We partner with small and large companies, government and industry in Australia and around the world.